Gay and Lesbian Services of Union
1984 Business Resolution
WHEREAS, the Unitarian Universalist Association has repeatedly taken stands to affirm the rights of gay and lesbian persons over the past decade; and
WHEREAS, legal marriages are currently denied gay and lesbian couples by state and provincial governments of North America; and
WHEREAS, freedom of the pulpit is a historic tradition in Unitarian Universalist societies;
BE IT RESOLVED: That the 1984 General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association:
- Affirms the growing practice of some of its ministers of conducting services of union of gay and lesbian couples and urges member societies to support their ministers in this important aspect of our movement's ministry to the gay and lesbian community; and
- Requests that the Department of Ministerial and Congregational Services:
- distribute this information to Unitarian Universalist religious professionals and member societies;
- develop printed material for ministers to assist them in planning and conducting services of union for gay and lesbian couples;
- develop a pamphlet intended for laypersons which describes services of union for gay and lesbian couples and is distributed to member societies.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.