We are called by our faith and our conscience to act for justice and compassion. As the long arc of the universe bends towards justice, it is our spiritual and moral center that keeps us grounded. Here, you will find wellsprings of hope, inspirational words and stories, and prayers and meditations to carry with you on the journey. Together we can create sanctuaries of safe spaces for those under threat, drawing strength from our ancestors and hope from our vision of beloved community.
- Spiritual Practices for Challenging Moments—Resources for uncomfortable/spiritually challenging moments, curated by Rev. Elizabeth Nguyen, with practices, music, and reflections.
- Spiritual Practices & Social Justice—Learn to be an effective agent of change and transformation by practicing regular connection with your core principles and beliefs. Drawn from the UU College of Social Justice's service trip study guide.
- Braver/Wiser—Sign up for weekly messages of courage and compassion, complete with a timely prayer for the week ahead. Hear from the contributors about what helps them when the hurt of the world overwhelms, lifting up the sacred in everyday life.
- Risk, Courage and Discernment: Spiritual Preparation—Resource to help individuals and congregations interested in effective justice actions, grounded in collective liberation, accountable partnership, and leadership of those most impacted.
- Theology of Resistance—Explore the multi-faith curriculum, webinars, podcasts and more to inspire multi-faith discourse that supports people of faith and moral courage to bring life to the stories, values, and teachings that inspire our resistance. Created by the Prophetic Resistance Project—an initiative of the PICO National Network.
Readings & Prayers
These collections of quotes, readings, prayers and more are focused on people in need of sanctuary. Share them in worshipful ways, online and in person.
Other sources of worship materials:
- Compassion for Refugees collection (WorshipWeb)
- Black Lives Matter collection (WorshipWeb)
- Worship materials on immigration
Small Group Ministry
Love Resists Guide for a Deeper Resistance—Four sessions for small group study or workshops
- A Call to Faith in Turbulent Times by Rev. Marta Valentín
- Small Group Ministry White Supremacy Teach-In, curated by Rev. Annie Gonzalez-Milliken
- Resistance Circles
- Small Group Social Change Ministry *PDF) by Rev. Kierstin Homblette Allen and Rev. Kelly Dignan
Faith Development for All Ages
- Standing with Families on the Side of Love (PDF)—stories about immigration and the US/Mexico border, from the UU World magazine Family Pages.
- With Justice and Compassion: Immigration Sessions—Eight workshops and activities to explore migration, family histories and belonging for children grades 1-6, and plans for a Family Night.
- The Call to Courage workshop—Helping junior high youth (grades 7-9) pay attention to the role of courage in creating justice. Part of the Heeding the Call: Qualities of a Justice Maker twelve-session curriculum.
Cultivating Empathy The Worth and Dignity of Every Person -- Without Exception
By Nathan C. Walker
Picked by Publishers Weekly as One of the Top Six Books for a Post-Election Spiritual Detox This emotionally honest and personal exploration of conflict introduces a creative and compassionate way to develop empathetic responses using the spiritual practice of the moral imagination.
Be the Change Poems, Prayers and Meditations for Peacemakers and Justice Seekers
By Stephen M. Shick
This collection is designed to inspire and sustain activists and others who are working for a better world. Brimming with poignant and inspirational quotations and verse from Jesus to Shakespeare to Edna St. Vincent Millay, Rachel Carson and Maya Angelou.
Resistance A Memoir of Civil Disobedience in Maricopa County
By Annette S. Marquis
Marquis reflects on what compelled her to action and what she learned about the struggles of migrants and people of color in Maricopa County and about being an ally in the fight for justice...