On any given night, more than 450,000 people in the United States who have not been convicted of any crime are locked up in jail simply because they don't have enough money to pay bail. Universalism means no one is disposable and interdependence means that none of us are truly free as long as people are in jail.
On Tuesday, May 29th Love Resists hosted a webinar on #EndMoneyBail. Whether you are new to this campaign or are interested in getting ready for the prophetic ministry work to #EndMoneyBail led by Black Lives of Unitarian Universalism at General Assembly, this webinar will help you learn about the growing movement to end money bond and pre-trial detention. Webinar speakers include people who have been impacted by these injustices as well as volunteers and staff at several community bond funds. Regardless of your familiarity at the start, you will leave the webinar with ideas of how you and your congregation can support the fight to #EndMoneyBail.
- Atara Rich-Shea, Massachusetts Bail Fund & the National Bail Fund Network (NBFN)
- Devoureaux Wolfe & Irene Romulo, Chicago Community Bond Fund
- Lola Rainey, Tucson Second Chance Community Bail Fund
- Paige Ingram, Black Lives of Unitarian Universalism
- Host - Rev. Jason Lydon, Chicago Community Bond Fund & UU Prison Ministry of Illinois
Resources on the Movement to End Money Bond
- Transformative Bail Reform Curriculum (PDF, 33 pages) from The Majority/Movement for Black Lives (M4BL)
- Until Freedom Comes Bail Out Toolkit from National Bail Out
What if we ended the injustice of bail?, TED Talk by Robin Steinberg
Challenging The Massachusetts Bail System, One Arrestee At A Time (audio on the Massachusetts Bail Fund)
Subscribe to Love Resists to learn more about #EndMoneyBail and our future webinars