Service and Social Justice
Unitarian Universalists know our world is deeply broken by systems of oppression and violence. No matter your age or life stage, you can help heal our world. UU young folks engage in service and justice work to reduce harm and shift our structures to make our world more whole.
Many UU organizations work to make our world more just. The Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSC) partners with organizations around the world to work on economic and environmental justice and human rights. The UU College of Social Justice (UUCSJ), which is a joint program of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) and UUSC offers programs for UUs of all ages to intentionally learn about injustice and expand their skills. Another joint UUA and UUSC project is Love Resists, started after the 2017 presidential election. Their current emphasis is on expanding Sanctuary wherever we can.
Side With Love is a campaign of the UUA that seeks to harness the power of love to stop oppression through fortifying justice movements around the United States. We also have State Advocacy Networks doing local legislative work with UUs in many states.
Opportunities for Youth and Young Adults
- Activate is a week-long program for youth run by UUCSJ that happens each summer
- Activate@GA is a one day version of the longer Activate program for youth attending General Assembly
- Global Justice Summer Internships are designed for young adults ages 18-25 and have placements around the U.S. and internationally
- Youth groups, multigenerational groups, or individuals of all ages can sign up for UUCSJ’s justice oriented Journeys for immersion learning experiences
- The GROW (Grounded and Resilient Organizers Workshop) trainings are week-long summer programs for young adults ages 18-35. UUCSJ has supported GROW Climate Justice and GROW Racial Justice in partnership with the UUA Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministries.
Resources for Youth and Young Adults
- Use Be the Change, an anti-racism curriculum for youth or Building the World We Dream About for young adults
- Get funding for a justice project with youth project grants and young adult project grants
- Read up on how to make the most of service learning opportunities
- Watch a webinar (YouTube) by Funder’s Collaborative on Youth Organizing about how young organizers are fighting for Sanctuary for All
- Explore a UU theology of organizing (PDF)
- Join UU Young Adults for Climate Justice: a network of activists grounded in faith, supported by each other and the UU community at large, and working together for climate justice
- Check out general UU justice resources