Check out the videos and multimedia used in the Be The Change! Project six core training sessions. Use them with the core training or on their own.
- Unitarian Universalists (UUs) Speak for Themselves (video)
Raziq Brown tells us why working to end racism is a core part of his UU faith. This video is part of Activity 2 in Session 2, “Why Should UUs Talk About Race?” See the whole activity on page 5 of Session 2.
- How I Learned to Love Discussing Race (video)
Dude, there’s something racist stuck in your teeth… Hear Jay Smooth give us a new way to approach conversations about race in this short video from Colorlines. This video is part of the Closing Activity for Session 2, “Why Should UU’s Talk About Race?” See the whole activity on page 6 of Session 2.
- A Class Divided (video)
Clips from third grade teacher Jane Elliott’s “blue eyes/brown eyes” exercise, a powerful example of how we create and reinforce harmful differences. This video is a part of Activity 4 of Session 3, “Race is Something We Create.” See the whole activity on page 7 of Session 3.
- A Trip To The Grocery Store (video)
Watch Joy DeGruy recount an incident of discrimination, in this clip from Cracking the Codes. This video is part of Activity 3 in Session 4, “Open to Differences: The Change Starts with Me.” See the whole activity on page 7 of Session 3.
- Ladder of Reasoning (animated video)
Hear about stereotypes, prejudices and discrimination as explained by Jeremy and Annie. This video is part of Activity 3 in Session 4, “Open to Differences: The Change Starts with Me.” See the whole activity on page 7 of Session 3.
- Four “I”s of Racism (animated video)
Racism in America is way complicated! Watch Jeremy and Kayla break it down and ask yourself how you’ve seen racism work through each of the four I’s. This video is part of Activity 1 with Session 5, “Can We Live with Racism?” Session 5 (PDF).
Public Service Announcement (videos)
A few short videos give examples of public service announcements. These videos are part of Activity 2 in Session 6, “What Can I Do to Break Down Racism?”
- How To Make a PSA (Girl Scouts)
- Cyclist Awareness PSA (Transport for London)
- LGBT Youth Suicide Prevention PSA (Trevor Project)
- Anti-Bullying PSA (The Bully Project) End Racism Now PSA
- Honesty PSA (Values.com)
Race: The Power of an Illusion
This outstanding documentary from PBS shows the history of race in America. If you have time, consider watching the entire video. Clips from this documentary are used in the following activities in core training sessions of Be The Change!:
- Activity 2: Scientific Construct, Session 3, “Race Is Something We Create” [Scenes 11-14 of Episode 1, 11 min total]
- Activity 3: Economic Construct, Session 3, “Race Is Something We Create” [Scenes 2-9 of Episode 2, 9 min total]
- Alternate Activity 1: Race and Immigration, Session 5, “Can We Live With Race?” [Scenes 2-5, Episode 3, 14 min total]
You will need a copy of the documentary to use for the core training sessions. The DVD may be borrowed from your local library or purchased from California Newsreel. Your congregation’s library, your public library, or the library of a house of worship near you may have a copy. It can also be rented for streaming at a nominal cost on Vimeo.