Welcoming is the first of five stages of young adult ministry development in congregations. Find more information on the five stages.
There are not really any young adults in the congregation. If they visit, they do not tend to stay. Other congregations in the area may have vibrant young adult groups, but they don’t seem to have found us yet. In the congregation there may be a desire for the involvement of younger generations of adults, but it is hard to know where to start.
- Increase presence in the broader community, including ensuring that your website is a welcoming “virtual front door. ”
- Examine worship- is it authentic and spiritually nourishing?
- Ensure activities of congregational life are accessible.
- Learn about what young adults seek in congregations
- Social Media 2013 video
- Ministry in the Age of Collaboration—2013 Minns Lecture with Rev. Naomi King and Peter Bowden
- Creating a Congregation Website
- Best Practices in Young Adult Faith Formation—John Roberto and Mike Hayes
- Congregational stories about young adults
- Coffee Hour Caution poster
- Designing Contemporary Congregations, Rev. Laurene Beth Bowers
- 52 Ways to Ignite Your Congregation: Practical Hospitality, Randy Hammer