Nominations Needed for Acting Moderator of the UUA Board of Trustees
The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Board of Trustees is seeking nominations for an Acting Moderator to serve our Association. The Acting Moderator will be appointed through General Assembly (GA) 2018, where there will be an election to serve out the remainder of the Moderator term which ends at the conclusion of GA 2019. The Board hopes to appoint someone who will also agree to run for election to the 1-year term at GA 2018, thereby serving a term of just under two years as Acting Moderator.
Nominations will be considered by the Acting Moderator Search Team of the UUA Board (Tim Atkins, Gregory Boyd, Sarah Dan Jones). The Search Team will present its recommendation to the full UUA Board for consideration. Members of Acting Moderator Search Team have voluntarily recused themselves from consideration.
According to our UUA Bylaws, the Moderator
shall preside at General Assemblies and meetings of the Board of Trustees and the Executive Committee. The Moderator shall represent the Association on special occasions and shall assist in promoting its welfare. The Moderator shall serve as Chief Governance Officer of the Association.
The Acting Moderator should possess the following characteristics and competencies:
- Deep support of and sensitivity to issues of anti-racism, anti-oppression, multiculturalism, and multigenerationalism, and be attuned to changes in organizational structures and dynamics;
- Understanding of Policy-based Governance with knowledge of and an appreciation for a variety of decision-making processes and discussion styles;
- Thorough understanding of the UUA bylaws.
- Skill in holding oneself and others accountable to promises, shared expectations, and our Sources of Authority and Accountability as defined in the UUA Policy Governance Manual;
- Ability to engage as a bold, non-anxious presence who is a truly collaborative leader, balancing individual decision making authority with collective decision making and who shares leadership beyond consultation with others;
- Ability to work collaboratively with UUA staff and executive leadership;
- Effective meeting organization, discussion facilitation, and emotional management skills;
- Good listening skills;
- Willingness to alter one’s decisions based on feedback from peers and stakeholders in our Association;
- Deep love of and passion for Unitarian Universalism.
The Moderator is an unpaid, highly demanding volunteer position in our Association. Expenses and travel are provided for by the UUA, but there is no stipend or salary for the Moderator.
You are invited to nominate someone by completing the Acting Moderator Nomination Form. In addition to the nominee’s name and contact info, you will be asked for a no more than 500 word statement on why you feel this person best suits our search criteria and would be the best person to serve our Association as Moderator.
Nominations are due by Friday, June 30, 2017 at 11:59 PM PT.
Please note that all nominations received will be forwarded to the recently formed Moderator Nominating Committee, tasked with finding nominees for Moderator for the 2019 regular Moderator Election, to help inform their work.