Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Cake, popcorn or other treats to eat
- Blank pieces of paper
- Permanent markers
- Small cloth bags that close with a drawstring
- Sets of five small stones
- Handout 1, Responsive Reading - Five Smooth Stones from Workshop 1 for all participants
Preparation for Activity
- Spread treats and beverages on a table.
- Post the stories on the walls throughout the room.
- Purchase small cloth drawstring bags. Purchase or gather sets of five stones, enough for each participant to have a set.
- If you are doing Alternate Activity 2, Painted Stones, skip the portion of this activity involving stones.
Description of Activity
This activity is the closing celebration for the program. Its purpose is for leaders and participants to show appreciation for each other and what they have experienced.
Tell participants that as the program draws to a close, it is time to celebrate. Invite them to share food together and to participate in two activities as they socialize.
The first activity is the Affirmation Station. Give each participant and leader a piece of paper and a piece of tape. Ask them to write their name on the top of the paper and tape it on a designated wall or table. Ask them to write on each person's piece of paper one thing they learned from them during their time together. At the end of the workshop, everyone can collect their piece of paper and take it home to remember the community they built through learning together.
An alternate approach is to have people tape the pieces of paper to their backs and have people write the affirmations on each other's backs.
The second activity involves a gift. Present each participant with their own bag of five smooth stones. Participants should put their initials on their bag. Invite everyone to review Handout 1, Responsive Reading - Five Smooth Stones, and choose one or two words to help them remember what each stone represents. Participants then use the permanent markers to write those words on the stones. Leave the stones out to dry during the rest of the celebration, then everyone can take theirs home in their bag.
Including All Participants
Be aware of food allergies in the group and avoid them or provide alternate treats.