1. Wisdom, compassion, and courage are the three universally recognized moral qualities of men.
2. I have observed that religious practice is not a precondition either of ethical conduct or of happiness itself. I have also suggested that, whether a person practices religion or not, the spiritual qualities of love and compassion, patience, tolerance, forgiveness, humility and so on are indispensable.
Dalai Lama (Buddhism)
3. Christ has no body on earth but yours, no hands but yours, no feet but yours. Yours are the eyes through which Christ's compassion for the world is to look out; yours are the feet with which He is to go about doing good; and yours are the hands with which He is to bless us now.
Saint Teresa of Avila (Christianity)
4. It is a man's sympathy with all creatures that truly makes him a man. Until he extends his circle of compassion to all living things, man himself will not find peace.
Albert Schweitzer (Humanist)
5. It ill becomes us to invoke in our daily prayers the blessings of God, the Compassionate, if we in turn will not practice elementary compassion towards our fellow creatures.
6. A religious man is a person who holds God and man in one thought at one time, at all times, who suffers harm done to others, whose greatest passion is compassion, whose greatest strength is love and defiance of despair.
Abraham J. Heschel (Judaism)
7. ... we must become articulate about our belief and choose those actions which will demonstrate that we do not just talk about compassion and love and understanding, but that they are values which we incorporate into our inner frame of reference.
Dorothy Tilden Spoerl (Unitarian Universalism)
8. The whole idea of compassion is based on a keen awareness of the interdependence of all these living beings, which are all part of one another, and all involved in one another.
Thomas Merton (Christianity)
9. No man is a true believer unless he desireth for his brother that which he desireth for himself.
10. He who feels no compassion will become insane.
Hasidic Saying (Judaism)
11. ... Justice, equity and compassion in human relations...
Second Principle (Unitarian Universalism)