Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Participants' journals, and writing instruments
- Participants' clipboards with anklets (Workshop 1, Activity 3, Practice)
- Beads, and waterproof markers and/or other decorations
- Extra clipboards and string/hemp, and scissors
Preparation for Activity
- If needed, read instructions for making the anklets in the Before You Start section of the program Introduction and in Workshop 1, Decision Making.
- Retrieve participants' clipboards with anklets, and participants' journals if these are also kept on-site.
- Write these questions on newsprint, and post:
- When was there a time that you used moderation?
- What made it possible for you to use moderation then?
- Have you ever experienced circumstances where it would have been helpful for you to use more moderation?
- What are the areas of your life now where you could apply moderation to help you be the person you want to be?
Description of Activity
Participants understand how the use of moderation affects their lives.
Invite youth to take five minutes to journal, using the questions on newsprint as prompts, or to draw or meditate on the questions. While the youth are journaling, you may also offer these prompts: Do extracurricular activities take so much of your free time that you do not spend as much time with family and friends as you would like? Are there substances, such as cigarettes, alcohol or other drugs, or food, with which you overindulge?
After five minutes, ask participants to stop journaling. Invite volunteers to share journal writing to their level of comfort. Remind youth that you are a mandated reporter: If anyone discloses behavior that could be dangerous to themselves or others, you will need to report it.
When sharing is complete or after ten minutes, distribute participants' clipboards, new beads (one per youth), and decorating materials. Invite youth to take the next five minutes to decorate a bead while reflecting upon their personal experiences with moderation. Remind them that this bead will remind them to use moderation.
As participants finish, have them add this bead to the anklet they started in Workshop 1.
If any participant missed Workshop 1, provide them with a clipboard, hemp, a bead for their name bead, and instruction to begin their anklet.
Collect journals, clipboards, and anklet-making materials, and store for the next workshop.