Activity 2: Fruity Whine
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, "Pear's Complaint," by Greg Youmans
Preparation for Activity
- Photocopy Handout 1, "Pear's Complaint," one for each participant.
Description of ActivityInvite two or more volunteers to read Handout 1, "Pear's Complaint," aloud, pausing for thirty seconds between readings and after the last reading. Then ask this question to lead a "What do we have here?" discussion:
- Who is the speaker?
Lead a "What's the big idea?" discussion, using these questions:
- What apple allusions can you find in the poem?
- Does the poem paint only a humorous picture or is it also talking about something else? Does the pear's experience mirror any common human experience, such as jealousy?
- How does this poem make you feel?