Alternate Activity 2: Nature Music
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- CDs of popular songs about nature
- Optional: CDs with songs about our spiritual connection to nature
Preparation for Activity
- Have songs cued and ready to play.
Description of Activity
The group explores popular songs to discern their different characterizations of nature.
Invite the group to think of songs that deal in some way with nature. Examples are Julian Lennon's "Saltwater," the Beatles' "Here Comes the Sun," "Beautiful Day" by Ziggy Marley, "Big Sky" by the Kinks, and John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High."
Lead a discussion to investigate how different popular songs speak to the human experience of the natural world. As participants suggest or sing songs they know, ask:
- Is the song's view of nature welcoming, threatening, or something else?
- What does the singer gain from his or her experience with nature? Solace? Escape? Inspiration? Groundedness?
- Does the song make you feel happy, melancholy, or something else?
- How do the music and words reinforce one another or contradict one another?