Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Journals and pens or pencils
Preparation for Activity
- Make sure the list of poet's tools is posted where all participants can see it.
Description of Activity
Ask participants to write on their page, "A poem is... " and then close their eyes.
When all eyes are closed, read the following questions aloud:
- What is a poem?
- Who is a poet?
- Are the tools of poetry just for the poet to use?
- What if a reader does not know about those tools?
- How can the reader still appreciate the poem?
Have participants open their eyes and begin writing their thoughts about these questions. After five minutes, invite participants to share their responses with the group.