Activity time: 30 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Contact numbers for local shelters, hospitals, or nursing homes
- Fleece, three yards per blanket
Preparation for Activity
- See if the local hospital or nursing home would appreciate some warm and fuzzy fleece blankets.
- Go to this website http://www.instructables.com for pictures and directions on how to make fleece blankets. Print out the directions.
- Either have each participant bring the fleece she/he needs or ask the congregation to donate either fleece or the funds to purchase fleece.
Description of Activity
Making these blankets is very easy (see directions), and they are a fast and fun way to bring warmth and bright colors to help brighten someone's day.
Engage the youth in a conversation about the things that bring them warmth and comfort when they are feeling sad or alone. Warm, cuddly blankets or stuffed toys often come into the conversation. Introduce the idea of the blankets. As is true of most social action projects, if the youth are invested in making these blankets, the project will go well. After the activity, ask the following questions to elicit reflections:
- What went well? What was difficult?
- Who did we help and how?
- What did we learn?
- What might we do differently next time?