Part of Families, Jr. High School
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Reading or poem for closing reflection. One possible source is Poetry 180.
Description of Activity
- Gather participants in a circle.
- If snack has not already been provided, participants might enjoy sharing a snack at the close of the session (optional).
- Gather information and advice from participants about the choice of activities for the next session. Explain that the next session focuses on food and families. Participants will engage in food-related activities (you may wish to describe them) and perhaps have a "Family Feast." Gather ideas and come to consensus with youth. If the group chooses to have a feast, invite volunteers to lead it. Ask all participants to bring one of their family's favorite dishes for the feast. Find out if any members have any food allergies or dietary restrictions, and emphasize the importance of this information. Let them know whether a microwave will be available to reheat food. Arrange who will provide dishware, cutlery, cups, and napkins. Consider having all participants bring a place setting from home. Organize a team of volunteers to wash the dishes.
- Arrange and/or confirm youth co-leaders for the next session (optional).
- Invite participants to share one thing they learned from the session about families.
- Close with a blessing, poem, or reading. Either select your own or use the benediction provided below.
Cheered by our community, blessed by our covenant, uplifted in mind, and renewed in spirit, go forth with courage and in peace to meet the days to come. Amen.
Burton D. Carley