Activity time: 70 minutes
Materials for Activity
Preparation for Activity
- Read both handouts so you are prepared to lead a dialogue and/or coach youth to do so.
- Copy both handouts for all participants.
Description of Activity
Youth practice participating in and facilitating guided conversation in an interfaith environment.
Distribute both handouts. Tell participants the handouts describe a format for discussion which they may use with their interfaith partners, before or after the service event, to explore what different faiths say about the value of "service."
Facilitate the group through the entire process, and/or invite youth volunteers to facilitate. Remind youth that this is a practice run. When they use this format with interfaith partners, the religious differences will make the dialogue richer.
Afterward, ask about the process:
- What parts did you like best?
- Are there questions you would add? Questions you would delete?
- Does the group agree this dialogue would be useful to have with your interfaith service partners?