Activity time: 20 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Mats, blankets, carpet, or other surface covering recommended by the guest instructor
- Other supplies the instructor requests
Preparation for Activity
- Arrange for a Tai Chi instructor to visit your space.
- Prepare your space as needed, according to the guest instructor's recommendations.
- Plan with the instructor how you will make the activity accessible and meaningful for all participants.
Description of Activity
Participants experience Tai Chi, a Taoist practice.
Introduce and welcome the guest instructor. Allow the guest instructor to briefly explain Tai Chi's relationship with Taoism. If the instructor prefers for you to do the introduction, say something like:
Tai Chi grew out of Taoism to fill the need for exercise that would strengthen the body and also keep it supple, responsive to its own messages, and free from blockages for the flow of chi, or spiritual energy, throughout the body. Smooth control of the muscles mirrors the smooth flow of chi through the body. Calm, steady concentration helps practitioners develop the awareness needed to be attentive to maintaining balance in all areas of their lives.
Assist the instructor as needed.
Including All Participants
If any participants have limitations in regard to movement, plan with the Tai Chi instructor ahead of time how you can ensure all are able to participate in the activity in a meaningful way.