Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, The Rainforest Song
- Optional: The Earth and Spirit Songbook and/or the CD Sailing with the Moon from the Jim Scott website
- Optional: A computer with Internet access
- Optional: Rhythm instruments, such as maracas, wood blocks, egg shakers, and tambourines
Preparation for Activity
- View the video of Jim Scott singing this song on YouTube.
- Prepare to teach the song or invite a song leader from your congregation to do so.
Description of Activity
Ask if anyone already knows "The Rainforest Song" by Jim Scott. Say that he is a UU songwriter and musician. Invite those who know the song to help teach the chorus and parts. Tell them that the various parts of this song make it easy for singers of all ages and musical abilities to participate.
Optional: Play the CD or show the YouTube video of Jim Scott singing the song.
Teach the song to the group.
Including All Participants
If any participants do not wish to sing, you might invite them to participate by using a rhythm instrument.