Preparation for Activity
- Research local opportunities to assist in food sharing. Plan how you will work with a local agency or organization to conduct a food drive, volunteer at a food redistribution (or food recovery or gleaning) service, help at a community garden, or work for a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) cooperative in exchange for produce to donate where it is needed.
Description of Activity
Help the group choose a way to give the gift of time to help distribute food more fairly in your community. Encourage participants to accept positions of leadership in the project. Whichever option your group chooses, be sure to share educational information and lead the group to discuss:
- What community need is being met?
- How are your actions meeting this need?
- What can you do to ensure your action has long-term effect?
- What other actions can you take to address the need?
Afterward, reflect on the action. These questions may be useful:
- How did our action help balance the injustice in food distribution?
- What long-term effect did our action have?
- How can we continue to waste less food and help make sure that those in need get more food? What commitments can we make to continue this work?
- How does working to redistribute food align with our UU values and Principles?