Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story, “Joseph Priestley”
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story and plan how you will tell it to the group.
Description of Activity
This activity explores the serendipitous events leading to the discovery of carbon dioxide.
Introduce Joseph Priestley as a famous Unitarian minister who was also a scientist. Both roles demand close attention and reflection on observations.
This story addresses his process of discovery.
Read the story. Then, invite reactions with these questions:
- What are your thoughts about serendipity in the story?
- What most interests you about Joseph Priestley?
- Have you ever experienced a process of discovery like Priestley’s?
- Do you think that Priestley’s work as a scientist and his work as a minister go together? Why or why not?