Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 1, Meditation for Two Voices and Optional Drum
- Optional: A hand drum
Preparation for Activity
Read the meditation. Decide who the two readers will be. If you wish to add the drum, choose another volunteer.
Description of Activity
The Meditation for Two Voices and Optional Drum offers prayerful thoughts about rain from children in two parts of the world.
Ask participants to find a comfortable position and either close their eyes or gaze quietly at one thing. Tell the group you will lead a meditation featuring the voices of two children as they lie in bed at night waiting for sleep.
Read the meditation quietly. If you are not using a drum, pause for two or three seconds between the sections. If you are using a drum, play a soft, slow, steady three beats between sections.
Allow a moment of silence at the end of the meditation, then ask participants to open their eyes and re-join the group. Process the meditation using questions like these:
- Where do you think each child lives?
- Which one's life seems most like yours?
- Which child has the most important need? Why?
- If the child with plenty of water uses less, will the child with too little have more?
- Is there anything the child with plenty of water can do to help the child with less?
- Is there anything you and I can do to be sure everybody has plenty of water?