Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- World of Wonder mural from Session 1
- Leader Resource 1, Mural Image - Too Much Stuff, and tape
- Closing song lyrics from Session 1
- Taking It Home
Preparation for Activity
- Print Leader Resource 1, Too Much Stuff, preferably in color.
- Download and adapt the Taking It Home section and copy as a handout for all participants (you may wish to email to parents as well).
- Post the World of Wonder mural.
- Display the lyrics to the closing song "We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands."
Description of Activity
Gather in a circle by the World of Wonder mural. Say, in these words or your own:
Today we learned about the 5 Rs: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Rot, and how important these actions are in caring for the earth each and every day. Unitarian Universalists believe that all people and animals and plants are part of an invisible web of life, like our World of Wonder mural. Each time we meet we add something new to our mural. Today we add a picture of "too much stuff," to remind us to practice the 5 Rs and be satisfied with "enough stuff."
Attach the picture to the mural.
Indicate the lyrics to the closing song, "We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands."
Invite the Song Leader to start the song with accompanying hand motions. Participants can help each other remember hand motions or can create new ones.
Distribute Taking It Home. Thank the children for participating and invite them to return next time.