Activity 4: Pinwheels
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, Pinwheel Template and Instructions
- Pencils with attached erasers, and thumbtacks-one of each per participants, plus a few extra
- Scissors (including left-handed scissors) and color pencils or markers
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Handout 1 for all participants, plus some extra.
- Read the pinwheel instructions and make a pinwheel, so you can confidently help children make their own.
- Optional: Invite a few extra adults or youth to help with this activity.
Description of Activity
This activity offers a concrete example of green energy: wind power.
Ask if anyone has made a pinwheel before. Show the example pinwheel and ask what kind of energy will power the pinwheel.
Distribute materials at work tables, including a handout with the pinwheel wind turbine for each participant. Hold on to the thumbtacks and pencils until children are ready to assemble their pinwheels).
Invite children to decorate the pinwheels and draw pictures of green energy or ways to save energy. Then, help them cut out the pinwheel template and assemble their pinwheels.