Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 2, Creating the World of Wonder Mural
- Leader Resource 3, "We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands" Lyrics
- Leader Resource 4, Mural Image - Gecko, and tape
- Taking It Home
- Optional: Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Using Leader Resource 2 as a guide, create the World of Wonder mural. Choose a display location you will be able to keep for the duration of the program and one you can easily reach to add to the mural in future sessions. Before making the mural, decide whether you will have the children decorate it (Alternate Activity 2); if you will, you will need a bigger mural.
- Familiarize yourself with the song provided on Leader Resource 3, "We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands." You can hear the traditional spiritual on which it is based, "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands," on YouTube.
- Print Leader Resource 4, Mural Image - Gecko. If possible, print in color.
- Download and adapt the Taking It Home section and copy for all participants (you may wish to email to parents as well).
- Optional: Write the lyrics from Leader Resource 3 on newsprint in large letters, and post. Leave room at the bottom for lyrics you will add in future sessions. Post the newsprint where it can remain for the duration of this program.
Description of Activity
Gather in a circle and say, in these words or your own:
Today we learned that all people and animals and plants are part of an invisible web of life. We all need each other to live. We are all part of the interdependent web of life.
Display the mural and say:
This is our World of Wonder mural. As Unitarian Universalists, we believe it is very important to take care of the web of life so that all of the animals and plants and people can live. Each time we are together, we will add something to the web. Today, we add a picture of a gecko to remind us of our connections to the earth and with each other until we are together next time.
Participants learn a song they will sing in each session Closing.
Say, in these words or your own:
Each time we meet, we will sing a song about caring for the earth during our closing circle. Singing together is a good way for us to feel a connection with each other. I wonder if anyone already knows the tune for the song, "We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands?"
If using the video, show it to the group, inviting them to sing along if they already know the song. Tell the children they will be invited to add new verses and motions to this song each time they meet.
Teach the song by singing one phrase at a time, with hand motions from the video or from your imagination. Have participants sing the phrase back to you. Then put the phrases together and sing the whole song.
Distribute Taking It Home. Thank the children for participating and invite them to return next time.