Faith In Action: Grounds Clean-up
Activity time: 30 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 3, "We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands" Lyrics
- Trash bags and/or recycle barrels
- Disposable plastic or latex gloves
- Optional: Rakes or other seasonal yard tools
Preparation for Activity
- Consult with your congregational leadership and staff to determine an appropriate location on the grounds that the children can clean up. If the congregation participates in the UUA Green Sanctuary program, invite members of that committee to participate in this and future Faith in Action activities.
- Determine when the clean-up will take place and communicate your plan to parents and the congregation.
Description of Activity
Throughout this program participants will learn how to help care for the Earth. In this activity, participants will begin their work locally in a familiar place, cleaning up the grounds.
Bring children to the designated area and explain that cleaning up and taking care of our yards is one way we take care of the Earth. Invite them to help clean up all litter. Point out that litter is not healthy for animals and birds. As appropriate, they can help remove weeds, rake or otherwise tend the grounds.
When you are finished, gather briefly in a circle. Go around the circle and have each participant complete the following sentence: "Today I helped take care of the Earth by... "
Close by singing "We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands."
Including All Participants
Be certain the area you select is accessible for all.