Materials for Activity
- DVD or video clip of an episode of Eyes On The Prize and appropriate equipment to show it
Preparation for Activity
- Obtain a DVD of an episode of Eyes on the Prize. Screen the episode and select the segment(s) you want to show. Plan to save at least ten minutes for discussion afterward.
- Optional: Plan to stream a clip from the Eyes on the Prize series via Internet .
- Set up and test the appropriate audiovisual equipment.
Description of Activity
Tell participants they will view part of Henry Hampton's Eyes on the Prize documentary series. Show the piece(s) you have selected. Then, lead a discussion with these questions:
- What surprised you about what you just saw?
- Do you think someone who was not African American could have told this story in the same way?
- How do you think it makes a difference that most of the people making this film were African American?
You may also revisit the discussion questions from Activity 1, Story - Henry Hampton. Notice whether the children's answers are different, now that they have viewed part of the documentary. Tell the group what you observe.