Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of Leader Resource 1, Chinese Characters for "Kindness"
- Newsprint, markers and tape
- 8 1/2 x 11-inch drawing paper and pencils for all participants
- Markers, crayons or paint and paintbrushes
- 11x17-inch color construction paper for all participants
- Glue sticks
- Optional: Painting smocks for children
Preparation for Activity
- Copy the Chinese characters "ren" and "ci" (kindness) from Leader Resource 1 onto newsprint, and post.
- Place art materials on worktables. Set aside larger pieces of construction paper and glue sticks.
Description of Activity
What if we all had a picture on the wall at home to remind us to respect and care about one another? What kind of a picture do you think might help your family remember to be kind and caring to each other?
Allow some suggestions. Then tell them,
All of your ideas are good. They are all about kindness, respect and caring in our families. The character, shan, is one way you could write "kindness" in Chinese.
Invite the children to copy the character onto a piece of drawing paper. Before they decorate with markers or paint, they may want to draw the character in pencil. To frame each drawing or painting, glue it in the center of a larger piece of construction paper