Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Gather ideas for skills and behaviors children ages five, six and seven can use to protect the Earth. Include:
- Use trash and recycling barrels instead of littering, when you are at school or at a park
- Save energy at home by turning off lights and toys when you are not using them.
- Recycling at home.
- Post blank newsprint where children can see it. Write "UU Earth-Protection Skills" across the top.
Description of Activity
This activity is designed to follow Activity 2, Nature Inventory, but can be done on its own. Gather the children. If they have done the Nature Inventory walk, invite volunteers to share what they have seen outdoors. Thank each one who shares. Then, engage them in sharing specific skills and behaviors they can use to protect the Earth. Write their ideas on newsprint, along with the ideas you have prepared. After the activity, you may like to type up the list of "UU Earth-Saving Skills" and distribute it to participants' families, the entire religious education program, or the entire congregation.