Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- A variety of Bibles that include the first five books of Hebrew scripture: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy
- A copy of Leader Resource 1, Finding Miriam in Hebrew Scripture
- Optional: Copies of Handout 1, Miriam Word Search Puzzle, and pencils, for all participants
- Optional: Tool of the Day - a hardhat
Preparation for Activity
- Set out the Bibles on a worktable.
- Using Leader Resource 1, Finding Miriam in Hebrew Scripture, list the Bible chapter and verse references to Miriam on newsprint, and post.
- Optional: Photocopy Handout 1, Miriam Word Search Puzzle, for all participants.
- Optional: Display the Tool of the Day where participants will see it when they enter.
Description of Activity
This section is intended for the time before the beginning of a session when participants arrive individually over a period of time (that is, "straggle in").
Welcome participants as they arrive. If you have displayed the Tool of the Day, invite them to speculate about what it is used for and how it might represent a tool of Unitarian Universalist faith.
Invite participants to explore the Bibles you have provided and to look for the passages you have listed on the newsprint. You will probably need to show children how to locate text by chapter and verse. After you have shown a few children, they can help one another. Ask them to read what they can about Miriam. Tell them the group will learn more about her during the session.
Optional: Provide copies of the handout, Miriam Word Search Puzzle, and pencils.