Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story, "A Messiah Is Among You"
- A chime, a rain stick, or another calming sound instrument
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story a few times.
- Consider telling the story rather than reading it. Practice telling it aloud. Try adopting different voices for Mr. Cohen, the rabbi, or the various students.
- Plan how you will use items from the story basket as props. Place them where you can reach them as you tell the story.
Description of ActivityBefore you begin, look around the room and make eye contact with each person.
If you did not discuss the meaning of the word, "messiah," during the story basket activity, do so now. Explain that some people believe that God will send a special person, called a messiah, to save the Earth and the people on it from our troubles. Explain that Christians believe that Jesus was a messiah. Read or tell the story.