Activity 4: Story - Parachuting Cats To The Rescue
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story, "Parachuting Cats to the Rescue"
- A chime, a rain stick, or another calming sound instrument
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story a few times.
- Consider telling the story rather than reading it.
- Think about how you might use items from the story basket as props. Place these items nearby, where you can reach them as you tell the story.
Description of ActivityTell the group that this story is about something that really happened in 1959. You might want to tell them how many years ago this was, to make the date more real to them. You can tell them that while it certainly did happen, some people say there were 20 cats and others say there were many thousands of cats.
Before you begin, look around the room and make eye contact with each person. Read or tell the story.
Ring the chime (use other sound instrument) to indicate that the story is over. Pause for a moment. Then help the group briefly discuss the story to make sure they understand it and to allow it to resonate. Allow personal experience comments about things such as children's pet cats, previous air travel, or knowledge about malaria, DDT, mosquitoes or rats.