Alternate Activity 2: Leadership in Action - Performing the Story
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Copy of the story, "The Journey of the Birds"
- Paper invitations or blank cards, and writing implements
- Optional: Music and a music player
Preparation for Activity
- Decide how, when, and for whom you will present the story as a play-for example, during worship as a Story for All Ages, during a Children's Chapel, at a congregational retreat, or as a stand-alone program, perhaps on a Sunday after worship, perhaps just for the children's parents and families at a specially scheduled time. You may wish to generate several options and plan to have the children help decide.
- Write a script based on the story "The Journey of the Birds." Plan roles, on-or off-stage, for all the children. This play can include an infinite number of birds. Gather costumes and props appropriate to the type of presentation you plan.
Description of Activity
Invite the group to perform the story. Explain the presentation date/time, venue, and audience you have planned-or, present the group with options and lead them to choose.
Share the script you have prepared, and any costumes and props. Cast the parts, and rehearse. Offer "backstage" roles to children who do not want to act.
After the performance, engage the audience in a short discussion with these questions:
- This play is based on an ancient Persian poem, "The Conference of the Birds." Have you heard the story before?
- What is the moral?
- Is our congregation like the bird community? In what ways? How is it different?