Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A recording of the song, "Question Me an Answer," and a music player
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Listen to the song "Question Me an Answer." You can hear it on YouTube.
- Obtain a recording of the song. You can plan to play the YouTube clip for the group, or you can purchase the song from an online music service.
- Obtain the lyrics-they are posted on the Lyrics Time website-and write them on newsprint.
- Think of an example of how learning new knowledge can set someone free that you can share with the children.
- Test equipment and cue the music.
- Optional: Obtain a version of the film musical, Lost Horizon (dir. Charles Jarrott, 1973). Plan to show the clip that features the song.
Description of Activity
Children learn a funny song about questions.
Teach children the song, "Question Me an Answer," from the film musical Lost Horizon. Post the lyrics on newsprint and play the song a few times, asking children to join in after the first time.
Though the song is meant for fun, it has one especially wise phrase: "They say knowledge sets you free." After children learn and sing the song, point out this line. Ask the children:
- Can you remember a time when you felt freed, after you gained some new knowledge?
- What are you looking forward to learning as you grow up? How will learning new things free you?