Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, "The Magic Penny Song" Lyrics
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Recording of "The Magic Penny Song" and a music player
Preparation for Activity
- Obtain a recording of "The Magic Penny Song." You can download a version from many music sites. Begin with this site devoted to Malvina Reynolds. Test music player and cue music.
- Copy the handout for children to share, and/or write the lyrics on newsprint, and post.
- Optional: Invite a musical volunteer to help teach the song to the children.
Description of Activity
Say, in these words or your own:
There is a song about giving something away and ending up with more of it. Let's learn "The Magic Penny Song."
Teach the song, using the lyrics from Handout 1 and playing a recording. Say that the songwriter, Malvina Reynolds, was a Unitarian Universalist.
Including All Participants
In Alternate Activity 4, children learn to sing the song, or its chorus, using sign language.