Alternate Activity 1: Leadership in Action - Group Chalice Lighting
Activity time: 35 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Chalice and matches or lighter
Preparation for Activity
- Work with the congregational worship leader to designate a worship service where participants may light the chalice.
- Communicate with families to schedule dates.
- Practice lighting the chalice before the worship service. Make sure the wick of the candle has been previously lit. If using a lighter, make sure it works.
- Assign at least one adult to assist.
Description of Activity
Children demonstrate leadership by writing a chalice lighting together, and leading the congregation by lighting the chalice during a worship service.
Work with the group to write a chalice lighting to be offered during an upcoming service. One way to start is "We light this chalice for... " Post newsprint and invite the children to complete the sentence. Then, use their ideas to shape a short chalice lighting. Write the chalice lighting on a fresh sheet of newsprint. Work with the group to memorize it. Find ways for everyone to participate in the chalice lighting. Perhaps each line is read or recited by a different child. Perhaps the group recites it in unison or the chalice is lit by assembly line.
Practice before the service. Have the newsprint on hand, in case it is needed. Afterward, thank the chalice lighters for participating in the worship service. Remind them that taking part in worship is one way to be a leader in the congregation and demonstrate their UU faith.