Activity 2: Story - Worship at Camp Taylor
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Copy of the story, "Worship at Camp Taylor"
- Leader Resource 1, Illustration - Worship at Camp Taylor
- Optional: Fidget basket (see Session 1, Leader Resource 2, Fidget Objects)
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story to become familiar with it.
- Optional: If you have a basket of fidget objects for children who will listen and learn more effectively with something in their hands, make the basket available during storytelling. See Session 1, Leader Resource 2, Fidget Objects for a full description of fidget baskets and guidance for using them.
Description of Activity
Ask if the children remember Kamal and Abby. Say that you are going to share a story about a new friend of theirs, Ricardo, who helps plan a worship service.
Tell or read the story.
Mention that, in the story, worship took place in the woods. Ask if worship has to happen inside a special building. Ask if worship only happens in a group or may an individual worship alone. Affirm that you may worship at any time, with or without anyone, and at any place. Yet, for the rest of the session, the group will mostly talk about weekly worship at and with the congregation.
Including All Participants
You may wish to make fidget objects available to children who find it difficult to sit still while listening or can focus better with sensory stimulation. For a full description and guidance, see Session 1, Leader Resource 2.
Consider using rug squares in the storytelling area. Place them in a semi-circle with the rule "One person per square." This can be very helpful for controlling active bodies.