Materials for Activity
- Ribbon sticks (or wrist ribbons) in a container (Session 1, Opening)
- Drawing paper and crayons
Preparation for Activity
- If you have not previously made ribbons sticks or wrist ribbons for each child do it now as per instructions in Session 1, Opening.
- Place container of ribbon sticks by the door.
- Set drawing paper and crayons on work tables.
Description of Activity
Use this activity when children arrive individually-that is, straggle in-before the session begins. Welcome each child as they enter. Invite them to take their ribbon stick from the container by the door and move to the large group area. Invite each child to draw and/or color a picture of their bedroom or another place in their home that is personally special to them.
Including All Participants
Give a ribbon stick to any new child or visitor and write their name on it.
Provide wrist ribbons for children who are physically unable to wave a ribbon stick. Help attach wrist ribbons to wrists, legs, or fingers according to the mobility of the child.
Provide a space at a work table for any child who is unable to sit at a chair.
Offer to draw an outline of a room for a child to decorate and color, if needed.