Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, Chalice Picture for Magnet
- Magnetic strips or magnetic sheets
- Clean metal or plastic lids, approximately two inches in diameter - one for each participant
- Crayons and/or markers, scissors (including left-handed scissors), craft glue, and (optional) ribbon
Preparation for Activity
- Obtain metal or plastic lids, one for each participant plus a few extra.
- Copy Handout 1 for all participants.
- Cut magnetic strips to fit lids. Each child will need one lid and a magnetic piece that fits the lid.
Description of Activity
To help participants remember the long history of Unitarian Universalism and perhaps generate conversation at home, the children make a piece of art.
Distribute Handout 1. Point out that it is a line drawing of a chalice, a Unitarian Universalist symbol. Invite children to color their picture, then use the jar lid to draw a circle around the picture, cut out the circle, and glue their picture inside a lid.
Help children glue a magnetic strip on the back of their lid.
Optional: Glue ribbon to the edge of the lid for decoration. Tie ribbon into a bow at the top.
Including All Participants
Some children may need help to color the picture, to cut it out themselves, to trace and cut the circle, and/or to glue the magnet.