Activity 4: Flower Ceremony
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 1, Flower Ceremony Service
- Centering table (Opening)
- Vase or container to hold tissue paper flowers
- Tissue paper flowers made in Activity 3, Flower Making
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Handout 1 for anyone who will read a part of the service.
- Read the handout to become familiar with the elements of the service.
Description of Activity
Participants experience an abbreviated version of the flower ceremony ritual.
Gather the children, making sure they have the tissue paper flowers they made in Activity 3.
Invite participants who can read to volunteer to read parts of the service, and give each volunteer a handout.
Including All Participants
If any participants are unable to get to the centering table to place or choose a flower, give them a partner who will place and retrieve a flower for them.
Do not put anyone on the spot to read aloud. Give reading volunteers the handout well in advance of this activity, and be ready to read any part should a volunteer suddenly decide to pass.