Jesus Teaches the Beatitudes
Jesus was a teacher. He lived thousands of years ago, in the part of the world we now call the Middle East. Jesus taught people how to use words and actions in a loving manner.
There are many different ideas about God. Jesus' idea about God was that God is a kind father who wanted us to treat each other kindly and with love.
People loved to listen to Jesus. One day there were so many people waiting to be taught by Jesus, he had to climb way up a mountain. Sitting on the mountain, he could see far away. The people just kept coming. There were families with children and teenagers and elders. There were fishermen and farmers and shepherds. Some shepherds had their sheep and goats, stopping on their way home from grazing.
Jesus called his friends to come and sit by him on the mountain. Then all of a sudden it got quiet. People were ready to listen to Jesus. They watched him and listened to his words. Jesus taught all the people of all ages a lesson called the Beatitudes.
The Beatitudes teach us how to treat other people. The Beatitudes teach us how to act. Jesus knew our relationships with each other are the most important thing about life. Let's listen now to the words from Jesus, the teacher. Listen for what kinds of people he asks us to pay attention to:
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for they will one day get to heaven
- Blessed are those who are sad, for they will be comforted
- Blessed are those who are gentle, for they will have all the earth
- Blessed are those who seek justice, for they will make a difference
- Blessed are those who forgive, for they will be forgiven
- Blessed are those who treat others with kindness, for they will see God
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God
- Blessed are those who try to do the right thing, for they will go to heaven.
For more information contact email@example.com.