Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story and prepare to tell it to the group.
- Optional: Download, print, and copy the coloring sheet for “Brave Enough.” Place crayons where children can use them when invited but will not be distracted beforehand.
Description of Activity
This story is about a woman who discovered how people were destroying the environment and making healthy, living plants and animals sick.
Gather the participants so all can see and hear you clearly. Tell them they will hear a story about a woman who discovered how humans were destroying the earth. Tell them she was a Unitarian and one of the first people to fight for saving the environment.
Read or tell the story.
Once you have finished the story, ask:
- What did Rachel Carson do as a child that helped her become a scientist and writer when she grew up?
- How did Rachel first discover something was wrong?
- Do you think Rachel had love for the earth? Is her love what made her speak up? Did everyone listen to Rachel?
- Do you think Rachel was brave? Why or why not?
- Have you ever had to convince anyone that you were right about something? Was it hard? Did you give up? Why or why not?