Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A small plastic bucket, such as a sand pail
Preparation for Activity
- Gather participants in a seated circle.
- Keep the bucket within your reach.
Description of Activity
This activity gives participants an opportunity to think about what they have to offer to the world. Show participants the bucket you have brought and ask them what they think might be inside. Allow some guesses. Then, tell them it is a bucket of gifts but not the kind you open. Tell them a few of your gifts as examples: loving children, playing the piano, making people smile. You might mime putting your gifts in the bucket.
Ask the following discussion questions:
- What are some of the gifts or talents that people in the room have?
- What kinds of gifts or talents might we bring to church in a bucket?
- What kinds of things might we take home with us?
- Do you feel you have a full bucket when you come to our congregation?
- When you go home?
- What kinds of things fill our bucket when we gather?
Affirm for participants the gifts they have to offer. Tell them they fill their buckets and each others', when we come together as Unitarian Universalists.
Including All Participants
Suggest examples of gifts to participants if they have trouble thinking of their own.