Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or LED/battery-operated candle
- A multicolored cloth to cover centering table
- 1/2-inch dowels, 18 inches long
- Spools of 1/8-inch ribbon in the colors red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet
- Duct tape
- Container for ribbon sticks
- List of participants
- Optional: Pony tail ties
Preparation for Activity
- Obtain an LED/battery-operated candle at large retail stores such as Target. Michael's, and Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
- Obtain ribbon stick materials. S&S World Wide offers 1/2 dowels under Arts and Crafts, or find at a hardware stores; spools of 1/8 ribbon are available at most craft stores; (optional) pony tail ties to make wrist ribbons are available in the hair departments of any drug store - purchase soft, covered elastics that will fit comfortably on a child's wrist.
- Make a ribbon stick (or wrist ribbon) for each participant, plus a few extra for newcomers or guests: Cut the ribbon to 16-inch lengths. To make one ribbon stick, take one piece of each color of ribbon and use duct tape to secure all seven pieces to one end of a dowel. For wrist ribbons, tie seven pieces of ribbon-one in each color-to a pony tail tie. Children can complete all activities wearing a wrist ribbon instead of holding a ribbon stick.
- Obtain a container large enough to hold all the ribbon sticks. You may wish to decorate the outside.
- Arrange a centering table with a cloth cover and a chalice, candle, and lighter or an LED/battery-operated candle.
- Set the container filled with ribbon sticks on the centering table.
Description of Activity
Welcome all in love and acceptance, center around the chalice, and begin to form community.
Explain that the children will use ribbon sticks each time they meet. Give each participant a ribbon stick and help them name the colors on the sticks. Tell them they will learn all the UU Principles and that each Principle will have a different color. Have each child say their name and wave their ribbon stick above their head. Teach this opening chant and do it together while waving ribbon sticks.
Group chants "Love surrounds us every day. The Principles show us the way."
Leader says "______ please, put your ribbons away." (Child named returns their ribbon stick.)
Guide each participant, as they are named, to return their ribbon stick to the container and then return to the circle. This is a way to acknowledge the presence of each child. If the group is large, say only several names, then direct the others to put away their ribbon sticks all together.
When all ribbon sticks are returned and children are in the circle, light the chalice. Lead the group to say together:
Love surrounds the chalice and we are included by the light of the chalice.
Including All Participants
Provide wrist ribbons for children who are physically unable to wave a ribbon stick. Help attach wrist ribbons to wrists, legs, or fingers according to the mobility of the child.