Love is the vital essence that pervades and permeates, from the center to the circumference, the graduating circles of all thought and action. Love is the talisman of human weal and woe—the open sesame to every soul. — Elizabeth Cady Stanton, women's civil rights activist in a speech given in 1860
This session introduces love as an unseen, guiding force unfolding in the universe, and introduces the Sources of our Unitarian Universalist faith, with an emphasis on love.
The story, "The Everything Seed," describes the origins of the universe as a single seed which contained within itself everything our universe needed, including love. Together participants ponder how love emerged, unfolded, and calls to people of faith.
Finally, this session establishes routines, rituals, and expectations for the program; and the group creates a behavior covenant together.
Several activities in this session require seeds. You will need a large seed such as an avocado pit or acorn for Activity 1, Pass the Seed Name Game and Activity 3, Story — The Everything Seed. The children use seeds Activity 4, Universe Seed Art. They will need seeds to plant if you do the Faith in Action activity, Creating a Love Will Guide Us Garden, or Alternate Activity 2, Planting Mystery Seeds.
This session will:
- Introduce the themes, rituals, and format of Love Will Guide Us
- Introduce the seven Sources of Unitarian Universalist faith in simple language
- Explore love as an unfolding, guiding force in Unitarian Universalism
- Welcome children and begin to create community.
- Learn chalice-lighting words and opening and closing songs to use in each session
- Learn about the Sources of our Unitarian Universalist beliefs
- Connect a story about the beginnings of the universe with our higher calling to love
- Portray love unfolding in the universe, by making a seed art project.