Materials for Activity
- Card stock in various colors
- Scissors, including left-handed scissors
- Hole punch
- String or yarn
- Pencils and color markers
Preparation for Activity
- Create a peace sign template with card stock. Use it to make a sample ornament: Trace the peace sign, cut out the shape, punch a hole in the top, pass a piece of yarn through the hole, and secure the yarn with a knot so the peace sign can be hung.
- Set out sample and materials on work tables.
Description of Activity
As participants arrive, invite them to make peace sign ornaments. Tell them they will hang the ornaments on the Rainbow Wall Hanging later. If time allows, participants can decorate the peace sign ornaments, leaving room to write comments later.
Including All Participants
If any participants have difficulty with small motor control, encourage them to choose a sheet of card stock and hold the template on it for another child to trace a peace sign shape. Invite other participants to cut out extra peace signs, punch holes in them, and string them with yarn to make extra ornaments. Children who have trouble tracing and cutting may still be able to decorate ornaments.