Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story, "Filling the House"
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story several times so you are comfortable sharing it.
Description of Activity
Tell or read the story.
After the story, invite the group to be silent for a moment to think about it.
Begin a discussion by asking participants to recap the story in their own words. What they recall indicates what they found most meaningful or memorable.
Lead a discussion using questions such as:
- Why did the older brothers laugh when they saw the youngest brother bringing just a small sack?
- How did lighting the candle fill the house?
- How did the youngest brother show a different truth about what it means to "fill a house"?
- How did the youngest brother's different way of thinking reward him with success?
Including All Participants
Provide a hard copy of the story for any hearing impaired participants and encourage them to read along as you tell the story.