From you I receive, to you I give, together we share, and from this we live. — "From You I Receive," Hymn 402 in Singing the Living Tradition
This session introduces Unit 2 of Chalice Children; the unit theme is "Church Is People." By this time, the Chalice Children have begun to feel a sense of belonging to the congregation and an understanding of the people and relationships that make it special. This session guides children to celebrate the uniqueness and worth of each person, making new friends and keeping old friends. Through hearing a story and making flannel chalice pieces, they learn that the chalice contains a smile—for all the different kinds of people in our congregation.
This session will help preschoolers:
- Feel compassion for others and accept differences
- Understand the shape of the chalice
- Experience the Chalice Children group as safe and caring
- Feel a growing sense of belonging.
- Understand that all kinds of people can be friends
- Learn that accepting differences is an important part of being a Unitarian Universalist
- Experience a new way of looking at the chalice symbol.