Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Bulbs, such as daffodils, at least one per child
- Trowels, at least one per child
- Water in a watering can or hose
- Optional: Gardening gloves, one pair for each person
Preparation for Activity
- Locate a place outdoors to plant bulbs. Check with your congregation’s grounds people.
Description of Activity
Each child will be able to place a bulb in the soil and cover it up.
Take the children outdoors to the spot you’ve chosen for planting. Give each child a bulb and a trowel (and gloves, if you have them). Demonstrate how deep to dig the hole, how to drop in the bulb and cover it with soil, and how to “pack down” the soil on top.
Plant the bulbs, and then have each child water the soil where their bulb is planted. Tell the children, in these words or your own:
We will check back here in the spring and see when our bulbs start to grow and then start to flower.
Take a walk around the grounds, if appropriate.
Return inside, and have everyone wash their hands.
Including All Participants
If any children have mobility challenges, consider having all the children work in pairs to help one another plant a bulb.