This is the church, this is the steeple, open the doors, and see all the people! — Traditional finger play
Today you will introduce the concept that people are an important part of what it means to be a church or congregation, especially the people who work for the church and take care of it. The Memory Match Game you will make for this session (Leader Resource 1) shows some important people, places, and other aspects of your congregation and can be used for play and learning beyond this session and program.
This session will help preschoolers:
- Begin to recognize and know the people, especially the staff, in your congregation
- Experience the Chalice Children meeting room and group as safe and caring
- Feel a growing sense of belonging
- Feel a sense of identity with a Unitarian Universalist congregation.
- Grow a sense of belonging by playing games that reinforce the people, places, and objects in the congregation, especially people who work for the congregation
- Understand that the congregation is more than just the buildings and grounds—it also includes all kinds of people
- Continue to develop their identity as, and their understanding of being, a Unitarian Universalist.