Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Taking It Home handout
- Markers or crayons
- Preschool chalice
- Optional: Envelopes, hole punch, and yarn or ribbon
- Optional: Handout 1, Thanksgiving Recipes
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Taking It Home for each child.
- Bring the "lit" Preschool Chalice to the activity table.
- Optional: Punch a hole in the corner of each envelope and string the yarn or ribbon through the envelope, then tie in a loop or a bow.
- Optional: You may wish to send home Handout 1, Thanksgiving Recipes, with the Taking It Home handout after this session. If so, copy it for all the children.
Description of Activity
Keep the children in their circle, and bring over the chalice. Offer these closing words while you extinguish the chalice, and invite the children to repeat them after you:
We gather the warmth of love, [bring hands over "flame" and gather to your heart]
The light of truth, [bring hands over "flame" and gather to your heart again]
And the energy of action [bring hands over "flame" and gather to your heart again]
Into our hearts as we blow out the chalice. [blow out the "flame"]
Back into the world of do and say, [hold world in cupped hands]
Carry it forward into the dawning day. [arms overhead, hands together making the sun]
May we remember: Here at church [or name of congregation] we share our gratitude on Thanksgiving and every day.
While waiting for family members to pick up their children, invite the children to decorate the handout to take home. Optional: Place the handout in the envelope with the ribbon/yarn bow as a gift to the parent(s) or caregiver(s).